Thursday, December 10, 2009

Priorities

It is amusing sometimes to see and hear the lengths to which some will go to be first in line to see a favorite movie,get a famous person's autograph,get tickets to a ballgame, or even get a prized holiday bargain. Just this past Thanksgiving some of my family members got up at unnatural hours to shop the early bargains. I slept in. It is easy to dismiss such behavior as crazy, but are we any different?
What do our choices say about our priorities?

We talk a lot about what is important to us, but do our lives reflect that? Are the things we strive for what we really want, or what we think we ought to strive for? Like New Years' resolutions that get broken so easily,sometimes we set goals based on someone else's expectations,not our own.

Sometimes life gets in the way and we have to adjust our priorities. But many times I don't think we are truly in touch with what we want,what is important to us. We may even have fallen into the trap of thinking we don't deserve to pursue our dreams.

Sometimes we even spiritualize this, thinking "I've just got to give up what I want and just seek what God wants". It sounds noble, but I believe it betrays faulty thinking. God doesn't want you to empty your heart and head, he wants transform them. He made you as you are, with hopes and dreams, talents and skills, and He wants you to be free to use them wisely and for good ends. If there is a song in your heart, he put it there; if there is rhythm in your feet, he put that there too.

I find that when I jump into something I usually do much better than when I excessively plan. That's what got me to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up years ago,...one of my best accomplishments (though some think me crazy for doing it).

Don't live by the "oughts", "shoulds", or "if only's"...You were meant to live an abundant life. Every day is a possibility, full of opportunities to shine. Living out our priorities is a daily thing, daily choices.Life means hope and opportunity. As Scripture says "this is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it"...and "whatever your hand finds to do ,do it with all of your might".

So, what are your priorities, what is important to you? And what are you going to do about them ,today?

No comments:

Post a Comment